Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Challenge of the Day: Develop a bible reading plan (12/7/10)

Good morning fam!  I hope everybody was able to find a bible to suit them yesterday.  Now that that's done, we will move on to the next challenge:  Develop a bible reading plan.  This is important now because we have become such a busy people.  We are always running from one activity to the next, and if we don't come up with a definite reading schedule, our daily bread will very quickly be pushed out of our life.

So how do we make a bible reading plan?  Well I wish I could give you a definite answer, but I can't.  Different things work for different people.  When I first decided to read the bible, I read one chapter a day and went straight from Genesis to Revelation.  I had another friend who found a plan on-line that took her through ten chapters a day from ten different sections of the bible.  You have to figure out what works best for you.  I've included links to a couple different bible reading plans, but feel free to research yourself or make up your own.

52 Week Bible Reading Plan

Multiple Bible Reading Plans

But deciding how to read is just step one, we also have to decide when to read.  I know this may sound elementary, but as I mentioned earlier we are a very busy people.  Personally I prefer reading first thing in the morning.  I know this means working people may have to get up a little earlier, but I think it's a great way to focus the rest of your day.  It reminds you that above all things you are an extension of Christ's body, so you can't be gossiping about the boss or cheating on your timesheet.  Reading in the morning may also strengthen those who struggle to get through each day.  The scriptures remind us things like we are more than conquerors through Christ (Romans 8:37), everything works together for our good (Romans 8:28), and we can never be separated from the love of God (Romans 8:38).

However some people prefer to read at night.  They feel at that point they can let go of the worries of the day and focus on God.  The Word reminds them that they can rest in God's security.  Scripture says, "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.  He makes me to lie down in green pastures;  He leads me beside the still waters.  He restores my soul... (Psalm 23:1-3)."

Now I'm going to warn you ahead of time that maintaining this plan will not be easy for everyone.  You have to force yourself to do it until it becomes habit.  Pray for God to give you a desire for His word and have faith that He will do it.  Then, in faith, continue reading until it becomes uncomfortable for you not to read.  I got to the point where I felt like something was missing when I didn't read.  Believe me, that was nothing but the work of God.

Helpful hint:  Take notes while you are reading.  This will help you actually study the word and keep you from falling asleep or getting distracted.

No comments:

Post a Comment