Search This Blog

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Challenge of the day: Find a mentor

Hello family, sorry I'm writing so late today.  I attempted writing earlier without the Spirit, and it didn't go so well.  Pray for me.  Anyway, I just wanted to bring your attention to the new Challenge of the Day part of the site.  Each day I will post a challenge that I want us to attempt as a family.  The challenge will be listed under the main title on the home page.  I think these challenges will give us positive things to focus on and help us to grow as Christians.  Feel free to email me if you have any challenges in mind, kalonda@att.blackberry.net.

The challenge of the day is find a mentor.  A mentor can be anybody: parent, coach, pastor, friend, teammate, spouse.  Your mentor should have a strong spiritual foundation and be reasonably accessible.  You should be able to call on this person if you have questions or concerns.  Your mentor should be more experienced or knowledgeable about the faith than you.  Or, at the least they should be strong in places where you struggle.  In this way, you will be able to learn from them and strengthen your own belief.

God saw fit to give me a mentor from the dance ministry that I participate in.  She is slightly older than me in years, but she is much more experienced in spiritual things.  I can call her at any time with problems, and she even celebrates my successes with me.  She is very open about her relationship with God, and I can see the Spirit at work in her life.  She inspires me to strengthen my own relationship with the Father. 

I encourage everyone to find a mentor like this if possible.  Church ministries are a great place to start, but don't ignore the people you see everyday.  God puts some people in our lives for a reason.  Try looking at every encounter and situation through a divine lens.  You'll be surprised at what you see!

Also, remember never forsake the importance of reading the Word yourself as well as personally communing with God on a daily basis.  While I encourage mentorship for support and motivation, we know that we put our hope and faith in God alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment